Portland Maine bm. Ex Carlile collection. Colonel John Goddard, 1861. Born February 28, 1811 in Portsmouth, NH to Henry and Elizabeth Leavitt Goddard, who had a hardware store there. The family moved to Portland in 1820, where Henry had a hardware store on Middle Street opposite Cross Street (now One City Center); Henry also published a number of verse and prose. At 18, John Goddard was farming and owned a tannery in Limerick, Maine. In 1831, he married Lydia Leavitt Johnson of Parsonsfield (1811-1880); they had 11 children. They moved to Orono in 1835, where Goddard engaged in the lumber business; he became one of the wealthiest lumbermen in the state, with operations on the Kennebec, Penobscot and St John Rivers, and eventually owned 120,000 acres in New Brunswick, where he had the largest steam powered sawmill in the world. Their farm in Orono became the Maine State College of Agricultural and Mechanical Arts in 1866, now the University of Maine; their former home is now the Beta Eta House. The Goddards moved to Cape Elizabeth in 1853, where they purchased the Cape Cottage land and hotel. In 1858, they built the famed Goddard Mansion next door, which became part of Fort Williams in 1900, the ruins of which stand today. John Goddard became a Colonel of the First Maine Cavalry, but his business suffered in his absence while at Camp Penobscot; he resigned early in 1862. Their son John H Goddard was a lieutenant in the First Maine Cavalry. He died of a heart attack at his home on March 3, 1870, after returning home from the funeral of his daughter, who died of scarlet fever.
top of page
Civil War Photography, Autographs & Ephemera
Buy, Sell, Trade
Interested in Collections & Single Items
$150.00Price
bottom of page
